Skip to content

Educator's Wish List

Education Hack Day
On Nov 12 + 13, 2011, over 100 software developers and designers will be getting together to build apps to help teachers and schools.

To help us figure out what to build, we’d like to have teachers and school officials submit some of their problems (we know this list could be quite long so think of ways technology might help).

For example, you might say, “I wish it was easier for us to schedule parent / teacher conferences.” Or, “I wish it was easier to get permission slips signed for field trips and waivers.

We also invite you to check out ideas that have already been submitted and “vote them up” or comment on them so we can get a broader view of what you teachers really want.

Full Website: http://EducationHackDay.org

75 results found

1. Fill in the blank notes generator

A program that you can upload your PowerPoint or a text and it will create a fill in the blank word document

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Take a list of 60 student names and allocate them into different modules/classes withou having to cut and paste!

Take a list of 60 student names and allocate them into different modules/classes withou having to cut and paste! For ty!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Create graphic organizers

I would love to have an app that gave me options to customize my own graphic organizer. Essentially, the app would be a blank sheet of paper. On the right would be the shapes that I could drag over to the blank sheet of paper. Then, I could easily input any text into the shapes I want. The problem with Microsoft Word is that the formatting gets all wonky and it takes a long time to get the graphic organizers just the way you want them.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Level my library with an app that read my barcode and compare with scholastic data base of leveled books.

We use reader's workshop, we have to look up every book on the computer with either scholastic or lexile levels. It would be great if you could scan it with my phone or tablet and it would inform me of the level.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. lock prekindergarten aged children into a webpage or website.

There are many great websites that are appropriate for preschool/prekindergarten aged children. The problem is that they begin clicking on everything and end up out of the site you have chosen. When working with a large group in a computer lab setting it is too hard to monitor every child to keep them in the correct website. I would like to see a program that would allow me to lock the children into certain sites or webpages so they do not end up off task. Many of the children I teach have never seen a computer and don't understand even…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. return digital assignments. I want to click a button and automatically return all papers to my students.

I want to be able to digitally return graded assignments in one click instead of posting each paper to moodle or emailing to each student.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. School iOS App creation

I wish there was a company that made it easy for schools to create an App for all the iPads they have recently purchased. A company that had a series of "modules" or options that a school could choose to put together to create a simple yet very useful app for in-class and at-home use.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Show/teach kids "how" to study/review/practice skills learned.

Students, even high school and middle school students, don't know "how" to study or review. Some sort of an app or module or program to show kids how to do this effectively and how it is beneficial if done correctly and not in cram fashion!

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Online rubric generator that could be corrected online (html or iOS?)

A rubric generator that we could make and then correct online by clicking radio buttons of each box and then placing comments where appropriate. Then having the capability to email a URL or embed it into a website would be great. We can type much more quickly than handwriting comments and it would speed things up, quickly shareable with parents, etc.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Track student work or comments submitted to blogs or wikis: a clickable interface with a class list that would go to the comment or post.

You would be able to connect a class list with a new assignment that was on a blog or wiki. You should be able to see at a glance who had submitted work and who had not and be able to click on the student name to see the work.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create Whiteboard Videos

I wish I had a virtual whiteboard in my computer or on a tablet that would allow me to play (and maybe even narrate) my whiteboard lectures for students that missed a day of school or instead of writing the same set of notes up on the board period after period. Then I could archive the videos so kids could look back at them if they need clarification

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Student Behavior Tracker App

I would love to be able keep track of student behavior along a timeline. if i could just tap either a "+" or "-" state for students throughout class and it would submit the data, reseting the view every minute or more with a nuetral state if nothing was selected.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enter study information into an exciting game format, that students would be keen to play.

Game designers would create generic game formats that could be continually updated (for a fee, of course). Teachers could load study data into a study bank and this would interface with the game so that students would need to get the answer right to go to another level or gain 'weapons' or cheats.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. schedule all of the "events" or "assignments"

in a course so that students could work at their own pace (but be prompted to keep working). Kinda like a step by step recipe or like the dailylit model where I can create the sequence and then students subscribe and work at a pace they define (daily, weekly, etc.)

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Band room volume meter

My band teacher wants a large size volume meter so band members can see how softly/loudly they are playing at a glance. A visual for "pianissimo" and "fortissimo" and all the others would be helpful. I visualize a 10-20 scale set of large (or clustered) LED's in multiple colors. Maybe 3 feet tall (like a tower speaker) with a built in microphone/sensor at the top with adjustable sensitivity. Think drag race christmas tree meets audio peak meters.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I wish there was an app that could work with a positive behavior system.

The application would work in conjunction with a positive behavior system. It would allow teachers and administrators to award different types of digital badges that would be compiled within the system. The system would also have a mobile interface to provide a way for schools to integrate the use of handheld devices by students in a positive manner. Students would accumulate points based upon the value of the badges they have earned. Those points could be redeemed for various privileges, rewards, etc. The system would contain a database of privileges to choose from electronically which would be managed and tracked…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hey Teacher

I wish there was a way for a student to "raise" their hand with a web tool or iOS app that would send a push notification over wifi to the teacher. The teacher then could have a que of students instead of having students call out or raise hands.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. manage several hundred student e-portfolios in the arts (dance, music, theater, and visual arts).

e-portfolio is a terrific tool for instruction and measuring student growth in the arts. Older students can create and manage their portfolios which is a great advantage for feasibility. Young children can not and this coupled with the fact that an elementary arts teacher may have several hundred students creates a large workload and limits the use of this great tool. There are platforms for e-portfolio (Mahara is an example) but they don't address this issue.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Collaborate live online with my math students

I've tried many sites, but have been dissapointed. I liked Coveritlive, but it doesn't have the drawing capabilities i need for math. Being able to embed it in a post on Edmodo would be great!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4