Skip to content

Educator's Wish List

Education Hack Day
On Nov 12 + 13, 2011, over 100 software developers and designers will be getting together to build apps to help teachers and schools.

To help us figure out what to build, we’d like to have teachers and school officials submit some of their problems (we know this list could be quite long so think of ways technology might help).

For example, you might say, “I wish it was easier for us to schedule parent / teacher conferences.” Or, “I wish it was easier to get permission slips signed for field trips and waivers.

We also invite you to check out ideas that have already been submitted and “vote them up” or comment on them so we can get a broader view of what you teachers really want.

Full Website: http://EducationHackDay.org

75 results found

1. highlight the words as you move along reading a book or anything else online but books primarily.

You could load any online book into the app and the reader could use the spacebar or an arrow key to move a highlight square along the words as she read at your her pace. If you could also have the option to have the highlight box move along at different cadences by itself to help lead the reader that would be a bonus.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. search for the Common Core or MSC standard I need by keyword

The MSC/Common Core websites categorize standards by subject and type, but it can be pretty tedious for new teachers to try to find that exact standard to which they can align their lesson. Searching by keyword would take the headache out of the search process.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. manage several hundred student e-portfolios in the arts (dance, music, theater, and visual arts).

e-portfolio is a terrific tool for instruction and measuring student growth in the arts. Older students can create and manage their portfolios which is a great advantage for feasibility. Young children can not and this coupled with the fact that an elementary arts teacher may have several hundred students creates a large workload and limits the use of this great tool. There are platforms for e-portfolio (Mahara is an example) but they don't address this issue.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Literacy Data Collection Tools

Teachers are constantly seeking literacy statistics in their classroom. This process is difficult and time consuming, wasting instructional time. Imagine a web-based platform that engaged directly with students to gather literacy statistics. This could be a very simple implementation. For example, for fluency, the platform could present students with a message and record them reading the passage. If a back-end system could calculate fluency and accuracy, these data points could be used, along with the audio of the student reading, as a running record of literacy statistics.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Grade rubrics or group project using my computer but then be able to have separate reporting sheets to hand back to the individual students

Grade rubrics or group project using my computer but then be able to have separate reporting sheets to hand back to the individual students

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Level my library with an app that read my barcode and compare with scholastic data base of leveled books.

We use reader's workshop, we have to look up every book on the computer with either scholastic or lexile levels. It would be great if you could scan it with my phone or tablet and it would inform me of the level.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Students described their ideal mobile learning app...

Example:

'The Real Thing' Some students have hard times with subjects, but they don't want to ask teachers. This app would let them watch videos or talk to real professionals about the subjects they're learning in school.
    Grade 6 student, Robert C. Fisler Elementary School, Fullerton, CA

http://thejournal.com/articles/2011/11/04/if-kids-designed-the-tools.aspx

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. integrate my amazon.com wishlist with my library's catalog

Amazon.com's interface and holdings list is more powerful than my local library's catalog. I wish i could somehow import or more easily integrate my amazon.com wishlist with my library's catalog so i could see holdings, make purchase requests, check out items (books, movies, dvds) or put items on hold for later.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. monitor target language use in the FL classroom/ promote target language use

As a language teacher I push my students to speak in the language but they respond best to a points system. It is very difficult to monitor all student speech and continually update positive/negative effort.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. make fill in the blank Cornell notes generator.

It would be nice to not only have a fill in the blank Cornell notes (mandated by my school) generator to make printables, but also have a digital worksheet where students could edit/manipulate the notes on their own devices.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. observe student behavior using an iPod

Special ed teachers, school psychologists, and social workers would find an app that assists in observing student behavior quite valuable. We are required by IDEA to do observations focused on student behavior however there are no good apps that are customizable to do this. For example, I may want to track 3 different behaviors at customizable intervals in various ways (i.e. frequency, whole-interval, partial-interval, time sampling, duration, etc.). Although there are some apps out there, they are not customizable. Talk to any school psychologist about this idea and they would LOVE it.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Connect to the regions of the United States.

It would be great to have an app that would describe and show geographically each region as well as be able to compare them. Show what immigrants settled in what area. Visually by graphing show population growth or decline and provide up to date information on what are the strengths and weaknesses of each reason.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Collaborate live online with my math students

I've tried many sites, but have been dissapointed. I liked Coveritlive, but it doesn't have the drawing capabilities i need for math. Being able to embed it in a post on Edmodo would be great!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I wish there was an app that could work with a positive behavior system.

The application would work in conjunction with a positive behavior system. It would allow teachers and administrators to award different types of digital badges that would be compiled within the system. The system would also have a mobile interface to provide a way for schools to integrate the use of handheld devices by students in a positive manner. Students would accumulate points based upon the value of the badges they have earned. Those points could be redeemed for various privileges, rewards, etc. The system would contain a database of privileges to choose from electronically which would be managed and tracked…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Show/teach kids "how" to study/review/practice skills learned.

Students, even high school and middle school students, don't know "how" to study or review. Some sort of an app or module or program to show kids how to do this effectively and how it is beneficial if done correctly and not in cram fashion!

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Monitor class set of iPods.

I have a class set of iPods that I would like to be able to check into to see what the students are doing. I can be hard to monitor iPods as they are so small.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. A volume meter for the classroom like yak tracker but for ipod.

A leveled meter to remind students of the noise level in the room. Green good, yellow a bit noisey and red too lound. Once they get to that level an alarm will sound.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. My dream is to give every one of my 1322 high school students a small 7-9 inch electronic device that is affordable, has WIFI

Paperless school or less paper school. My dream is to bridge the digital divide by giving every student an electronic device that taps in the power of technology.
    This device must be affordable, free is best, have WIFI, a word program and the ability to download e-books, store student work most importantly allow students to access the power of the web.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?