Skip to content

Educator's Wish List

Education Hack Day
On Nov 12 + 13, 2011, over 100 software developers and designers will be getting together to build apps to help teachers and schools.

To help us figure out what to build, we’d like to have teachers and school officials submit some of their problems (we know this list could be quite long so think of ways technology might help).

For example, you might say, “I wish it was easier for us to schedule parent / teacher conferences.” Or, “I wish it was easier to get permission slips signed for field trips and waivers.

We also invite you to check out ideas that have already been submitted and “vote them up” or comment on them so we can get a broader view of what you teachers really want.

Full Website: http://EducationHackDay.org

75 results found

1. Grade and Track Data

The City Link System is not very user friendly in terms of generating answer keys for teacher-developed tests, and the only machine for grading is located in the principal's office. We have a scan-tron machine, but almost never have the actual scan-tron sheets and there is no way to digitally track data without manual input.

I wish there was a program that allowed me to create a test and an answer key and use my own scanner (3 in 1 print/scan/copy deal) to scan, grade, itemize and manipulate data. This would save me HOURS of doing all the grading and…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Teacher Guided Web browsing

I wish it was easier for a teacher to be able to direct the websites viewable on an iPad to either co-browse or dictate specific web address to automatically populate on the student's iPad. I have actually already started working on this and have a lot of thoughts about the process, management, and settings that would be very powerful in combination. If someone at the Ed Hack Day wants to work with me on this, please let me know -- andrewcoy@gmail.com

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I wish there was an app that could work with a positive behavior system.

The application would work in conjunction with a positive behavior system. It would allow teachers and administrators to award different types of digital badges that would be compiled within the system. The system would also have a mobile interface to provide a way for schools to integrate the use of handheld devices by students in a positive manner. Students would accumulate points based upon the value of the badges they have earned. Those points could be redeemed for various privileges, rewards, etc. The system would contain a database of privileges to choose from electronically which would be managed and tracked…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Create Whiteboard Videos

I wish I had a virtual whiteboard in my computer or on a tablet that would allow me to play (and maybe even narrate) my whiteboard lectures for students that missed a day of school or instead of writing the same set of notes up on the board period after period. Then I could archive the videos so kids could look back at them if they need clarification

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. integrate different attendance/grading/behavior tracking software into a single, easy-to-use program.

There are dozens of applications that teachers and school districts use that offer the ability to track attendance issues, grades, and other clerical duties required by every teacher. Often, teachers are asked to use multiple programs to do similar things. A single program that can be used nation-wide would be fantastic for teachers. Every district has different policies, but if these policies/rules are automatically streamlined into the program, it would be very simple to create an online database that holds information for each child. If this single program is used throughout the country, then it would make for an easier…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Take anecdotal records on students.

I'd like a smartphone / web app which would let me keep track, by date & class, anecdotal records on students. I'd then like to be able to sort through these anecdotal records and search through them for keywords. It would also be nice to tie these anecdotal records to standards.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. integrate my amazon.com wishlist with my library's catalog

Amazon.com's interface and holdings list is more powerful than my local library's catalog. I wish i could somehow import or more easily integrate my amazon.com wishlist with my library's catalog so i could see holdings, make purchase requests, check out items (books, movies, dvds) or put items on hold for later.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. give attribution for images (especially in iOS)

Right now it takes way too many steps to search for creative commons images and give attribution in a document.
    1. Search for image, making sure it's free for use
    2. Save image to hard drive/photo roll or copy it or copy the URL
    3. Put image into document
    4. Go back to page, copy the URL it came from
    5. Paste URL into document
    6. Find owner of image, give credit

Ideally, an HTML5 app could take care of a lot of those issues for all devices. It could search for the image, and then if a good one…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. schedule meetings and collect data for Student Support Team to keep track of students behavior improvements and academic progress

There is currently a struggle to get current data from teachers and to get parents to show to meetings. It would be great to have something that would track the data better and also make it easier to keep track of scheduled meetings to get parents more involved and communicate progress to parents.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I wish that I could keep all my files in one place (ex. grades, attendance, permission forms)

I wish that I could keep all my files in one place (ex. grades with attendance, permission forms, lesson plan book). This would make it easier to see what students missed. It also would allow all information to be housed in one place instead of 5 different programs.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Narrating a prezi to embed for students on our class webpage of most salient points of a topic or skill would be helpful.

An easy way to narrate a prezi within prezi would be terrific. It is doable now but is clumsy. Great for students who are away or need to hear the most salient points of a discussion or skill at their convenience.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. manage several hundred student e-portfolios in the arts (dance, music, theater, and visual arts).

e-portfolio is a terrific tool for instruction and measuring student growth in the arts. Older students can create and manage their portfolios which is a great advantage for feasibility. Young children can not and this coupled with the fact that an elementary arts teacher may have several hundred students creates a large workload and limits the use of this great tool. There are platforms for e-portfolio (Mahara is an example) but they don't address this issue.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. A volume meter for the classroom like yak tracker but for ipod.

A leveled meter to remind students of the noise level in the room. Green good, yellow a bit noisey and red too lound. Once they get to that level an alarm will sound.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Literacy Data Collection Tools

Teachers are constantly seeking literacy statistics in their classroom. This process is difficult and time consuming, wasting instructional time. Imagine a web-based platform that engaged directly with students to gather literacy statistics. This could be a very simple implementation. For example, for fluency, the platform could present students with a message and record them reading the passage. If a back-end system could calculate fluency and accuracy, these data points could be used, along with the audio of the student reading, as a running record of literacy statistics.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stay organized!

Teachers are running around busy all day and things tend to pile up for later. Before you know it, the pile has grown. Between books, guides, loose papers, and computer files there is a lot to manage when planning a lesson. Wish I had it all in one place!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. observe student behavior using an iPod

Special ed teachers, school psychologists, and social workers would find an app that assists in observing student behavior quite valuable. We are required by IDEA to do observations focused on student behavior however there are no good apps that are customizable to do this. For example, I may want to track 3 different behaviors at customizable intervals in various ways (i.e. frequency, whole-interval, partial-interval, time sampling, duration, etc.). Although there are some apps out there, they are not customizable. Talk to any school psychologist about this idea and they would LOVE it.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. search for the Common Core or MSC standard I need by keyword

The MSC/Common Core websites categorize standards by subject and type, but it can be pretty tedious for new teachers to try to find that exact standard to which they can align their lesson. Searching by keyword would take the headache out of the search process.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 3 votes
    Vote